The Everybody Bikes program removes finanical barriers to bicycling by providing affordable bikes and repairs services to income-eligible Vermonters in need of transportation. Each summer season, staff and volunteers refurbish 300+ bicycles and perform 1,000+ repairs for low-income clients. Learn more about the Everybody Bikes program here.
Volunteer Mechanics refurbish and repair bikes for the Everybody Bikes program. In the mornings when the shop is only open to staff and volunteers, repair and refurbishing work is the primary focus. In the afternoons when the shop is open to Everybody Bikes customers some time will be spent working with clients, doing on-the-spot repairs, and helping manage the flow of the shop.
This is a rewarding volunteer position! There is much to gain: mechanical knowledge and skills, bike shop experience, and the opportunity to see save bikes from the waste stream and put them back on the road with people who benefit from having access to affordable, reliable transportation.
Are you interested in being a Volunteer Mechanic but lack the experience? At this time, Bike Recycle Vermont doesn't have the capacity to provide free mechanic trainings. We encourage interested Volunteer Mechanics to build their mechanic skills by taking one of our mechanics classes or attending drop-in volunteer Tuesdays.
We are currently recruiting Volunteer Mechanics for the following shifts:
- Tuesday 10am - 1pm
- Tuesday 1pm - 5pm
- Tuesday 5pm - 8pm (drop-in volunteer night)
- Wednesday 10am - 1pm
- Wednesday 1pm - 5pm
- Friday 10am - 1pm
- Friday 1pm - 5pm
If your availablity doesn't perfectly line up witha shift, that's okay. We're flexible! We recommend coming in for at least two hours because set-up and clean-up take time.
- Ability to work independently on bicycles; the shop can be pretty busy so it is important that volunteers have moderate-to-advanced mechanical skills. If you can fix a flat tire, know how to replace cables and housing, and can adjust brakes and shifting, we'd love to host you as a Volunteer Mechanic!
- Ability to work with a very diverse population and through language differences
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Primary duties include:
- Repairing and refurbishing bikes
- Assisting customers with selecting bikes
- Taking in repairs from customers
- Upkeep and organization of tools and parts
- breif volunteer orientation with staff mechanic
Supervisor: on-site mechanic
- ability to earn City Market member worker credit. Learn more about the member worker program here: http://www.citymarket.coop/memberwork
- opportunity to be part of a dynamic team getting more people in Vermont on bikes!