We are seeking Volunteer Storytellers to create interesting media pieces that tell the story of our shop and the people who connect there over a shared appreciation for bikes.
Each of our clients has an interesting story to tell. Both Bike Recycle Vermont and Old Spokes Home are colorful, warm, visually satisfying places filled with interesting action and lots of smiling faces. Our clients have often traveled from very far before landing in Burlington, or are coming to us to prepare for an epic bike adventure.
We need people who love using film, photography, illustration, and design to tell stories. Volunteer Storytellers play an integral part in raising awareness about Bike Recycle Vermont and Old Spokes Home and the shops' impact in our community.
Potential content includes:
- a video-tour of Old Spokes Home’s bicycle museum
- interviews with customers at Bike Recycle Vermont about their bikes and where they ride them
- interviews with customers at Old Spokes Home about their bikes and where they ride them
- joining staff for an off-road bike ride or overnight bikepacking trip with a Go Pro camera
- short instructional videos on bike repair
- promos for new bikes or gear
- PSA-style shorts on how to lock your bike, why you should wear a helmet, the effect of riding with bike lights versus not with bike lights, and more
Content will be distributed through social media, e-mail newsletters, blog posts, the shops' websites, local television stations, and other outlets.
How to become a Volunteer Storyteller:
There are no prerequisites or firm availability requirements to become a Volunteer Storyteller for the Bike Project. This is a project-based volunteer position. If you’re interested in making a single video or taking a few photos, that’s great. If you want to have a more involved role in our small team, create lots of content, and work as an intern or for school credit, we can arrange that, too. We will work with interested and qualified applications to craft a position that works for them and works for us.
Step One: Email Christine Hill, the Bike Project’s outreach director, at email@example.com with the following:
- A letter about yourself, your medium, why you’re interested in this project, and your summer/fall availability
- links to 5 examples of your work that are online (might include a Vimeo account, Flickr, Tumblr, personal website, etc.)
Step Two: We will contact interested parties to set up interviews
Step Three: We will notify selected Volunteer Storytellers within one week of the interview and then we’ll get started
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the following sites to get a better feel for the shops: